Friday, August 5, 2011

Sunburst Mirror Tutorial

First of all, I can't take credit for this. I got the idea from Hi Sugarplum and she got it somewhere else. But I loved the one I made for my mom so much that I decided to make one for myself too.

You will need two packages of the longer shims (16 inches, I think), a round mirror (got mine at Walmart for $2 in the candle section) a piece of cardboard, and lots of hot glue.

Step 1: Draw a circle. I used one of our large plates (12-14 inches across).
Step 2: Cut out the circle.Step 3: Draw another circle so there is about 1.5 inches between the edge and the small circle. I used a bowl that was smaller than the plate. Step 4: Glue the shims in a circle around the smaller circle. It is hard to see in the picture because I used the extra cardboard as a turn table and to protect the floor from hot glue. Step 5: Glue shims in between the other shims. I lowered mine about 1 inch for depth.Step 6: I glued another shim between each shim, making sure to stagger them at different lengths.Step 7: When the hot glue was dry, I flipped the project over and glued 4 extra shims around the cardboard for stability. Then I took a piece of scrap material and glued it so the mirror could hang.Step 8: Glue the mirror to the front center of the sunburst. I put mine in our sitting area. This picture is to show the size (don't look at the wall color! I'm so beyond ready for a change). Now I'm off to go garage sale-ing. Have a great Friday!

Please "follow" my blog (top right column).

Linky partying at all the fun parties on my Linky list.

11 comments:

  1. Will you try one of these with painted shims? :) Please? We have boring beige walls (and there's no way that's changing any time soon) and so those colors would look awful here. Come on . . . you know you wanna now that I've said it! :)

    PS, I think you're great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this tutorial! One of the best that I've seen. Great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well written! This is a the second comment from me today- I just found your "man cave" redo a few min ago and commenting

    Smiles, Suzanne in IL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial! Such a great job on the mirror. I have been wanting to do one all summer and this is giving me the push and the kids go back to school this week too. Turned out great, thanks for sharing. Visiting from Debbie's Newbie Party

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! I love mirrors. Can we have too many of them? I'm a new follower from Debbie's Newbie Party, too. I'm looking forward to your visit, too!
    Thanks!
    www.helensdecor.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lelli, this is a fabulous idea and great tut. Thanks for sharing with my newbie party. YOU NEED to add my link or button to your post. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a really great look! It is a focal point that looks wonderful on a wall. Thanks for the tutorial and for linking it up at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy to have you at the Mommy Monday Link Party! Be sure to link back to MoMomma on your blog /post as well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...